Surface Dock 2 overview
Surface Dock 2, the next-generation Surface dock, lets users connect external monitors and multiple peripherals for a fully modernized desktop experience from a Surface device. Built to maximize efficiency at the office, in a flexible workspace, or at home, Surface Dock 2 features seven ports, including two front-facing USB-C ports, with 15 watts of fast charging power for phones and accessories.
Full device management support
Surface Dock 2 is designed to simplify IT management, enabling admins to automate firmware updates using Windows Update or centralize updates with internal software distribution tools.
- Surface Enterprise Management Mode (SEMM) enables IT admins to secure ports on Surface Dock 2. For more information, see Secure Surface Dock 2 ports with Surface Enterprise Management Mode.
- Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) support enables IT admins to remotely monitor and manage the latest firmware, policy state, and related data across Surface Dock 2 devices. For more information, see Manage Surface Dock 2 with WMI.
- Centralize updates on your local network using software distribution tools. Download Surface Dock 2 Firmware and Drivers.
General system requirements
Windows 10 version 1809 and later. There's no support for Windows 7, Windows 8, or non-Surface host devices. Surface Dock 2 works with the following Surface devices:
- Surface Pro (5th Gen) and later
- Surface Laptop (1st Gen) and later
- Surface Book 2 and later
- Surface Go and later
- Surface Laptop Go and later
- Surface Laptop Studio
Surface Dock 2 Components
- Two front-facing USB-C ports
- Two rear-facing USB-C (gen 2) ports
- Two rear-facing USB-A ports
Dual 4K@60Hz. Supports up to two displays on the following devices:
- Surface Laptop Studio
- Surface Book 3
- Surface Pro 8
- Surface Pro 7
- Surface Pro 7+
- Surface Pro X
- Surface Laptop 3
- Surface Laptop 4
- Surface Laptop 5
- Surface Pro 9
- Surface Pro 9 with 5G
Dual 4K@30Hz. Supports up to two displays on the following devices:
- Surface Pro 6
- Surface Pro (5th Gen)
- Surface Laptop 2
- Surface Laptop (1st Gen)
- Surface Go
- Surface Go 2
- Surface Go 3
- Surface Book 2
- 1-gigabit Ethernet port.
External Power supply
- 199 watts supporting 100V-240V.
Compare Surface Dock
Table 1. Surface Dock and USB-C Travel Hub .
|Component||Surface Dock||Surface Dock 2||USB-C Travel Hub|
|USB-A||2 front facing USB 3.1 Gen 1
2 rear facing USB 3.1 Gen 1
|2 rear facing USB 3.2 Gen 2 (7.5W power)||1 USB 3.1 Gen 2|
|Mini Display port||2 rear facing (DP1.2)||None||None|
|USB-C||None||2 front facing USB 3.2 Gen 2
2 rear facing USB 3.2 Gen 2 (DP1.4a)
|1 USB 3.2 Gen 2|
|3.5 mm Audio in/out||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Ethernet||Yes, 1 gigabit||Yes 1 gigabit||Yes, 1 gigabit|
|DC power in||Yes||Yes|
|Surface Connect cable length||65 cm||80 cm||20 cm|
|Surface Connect host power||60 W||120 W||N/A|
|USB load power||30 W||60 W|
|USB bit rate||5 Gbps||10 Gbps||10 Gbps|
|Monitor support||2 x 4K @30Hz, or
1 x 4K @60 Hz
|2 x 4K @60 Hz
or 1 x 4K @120Hz
|1 x 4K @ 60 Hz|
|Wake-on-LAN from Connected Standby||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Wake-on-LAN from S4/S5 sleep modes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Network PXE boot||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|SEMM host access control||No||Yes||No|
|SEMM port access control1||No||Yes||No|
|Servicing support||MSI||Windows Update or MSI|
- Software license required for some features. Sold separately.
Streamlined device management
Surface has released streamlined management functionality via Windows Update enabling IT admins to utilize the following enterprise-grade features:
- Frictionless updates. Update your docks silently and automatically, with Windows Update or Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (formerly System Center Configuration Manager - SCCM) or other MSI deployment tools.
- Wake from the network. Manage and access corporate devices without depending on users to keep their devices powered on. Even when a docked device is in sleep, hibernation, or power off mode, your team can wake from the network for service and management, using Endpoint Configuration Manager or other enterprise management tools.
- Centralized IT control. Control who can connect to Surface Dock 2 by turning ports on and off. Restrict which host devices can be used with Surface Dock 2. Limit dock access to a single user or configure docks for access only by specific users in your team or across the entire company.
Submit and view feedback for