OS choice for new Surface devices
Commercial customers can choose to have Windows 10 or Windows 11 installed on new Surface for Business devices:
- Surface Pro 8
- Surface Pro 9
- Surface Laptop 4
- Surface Laptop 5
- Surface Laptop Go 2
- Surface Laptop Go 3
- Surface Laptop Studio
- Surface Go 3
- Surface Go 4
Surface Pro 9 is available for Windows 10. Surface Pro 9 with 5G is only available with Windows 11.
Considerations for choosing your OS
Whether you choose to purchase new Surface devices running Windows 11 or opt for Surface devices with Windows 101 may depend on your current corporate environment:
- Windows 10 only. Designed for customers who require Windows 10 out of the box and deploy devices using Windows Autopilot or Microsoft Entra domain join (AADJ). With Windows 10 SKUs, you avoid the need to compile driver packs and reimage devices before distributing them to users. It includes an additional per-device fee of $30 or $50 depending on the device, as noted below.2 (Prices are based on MSRP, actual pricing may vary.)
- Windows 10 & Windows 11. Designed for customers who use Windows 11 and also deploy Windows 10 via traditional deployment methods that rely on reimaging devices. With Windows 11 SKUs, you can take advantage of built-in downgrade rights to Windows 10 and load custom Windows 10 images on devices as needed.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro is preinstalled with Windows 10 downgrade software. It includes a license for the Downgrade Facilitation Product available via downgrade rights from Windows 11 Pro. The appropriate build is indicated in the Windows OS versions section on this page. End users may use only one version at a time; switching between versions requires uninstalling the other version.
Table 1. OS choice summary
|Network environment||Deployment method||Recommended SKUs||Additional cost|
|Windows 10 only||Modern: Autopilot/AADJ||Windows 10||$30-$50 2|
|Windows 10 & Windows 11||Legacy: Custom image deployment||Windows 11||None|
Windows 10 only
The ability to get the OS version you need directly from Surface includes delivery of factory shrink-wrapped devices fully configured with the requisite firmware, drivers, and security policies. The extra fee covers the cost of this service along with the following benefits that allow you to:
- Provide your users with the latest Surface hardware today while upgrading to Windows 11 at your own pace.
- Reduce your exposure to potential supply chain vulnerabilities by eliminating the need to reimage to Windows 10.
- Save time with Windows Autopilot zero-touch deployment, including faster app and policy updates and fewer help desk calls.
Windows OS versions
Most devices ship from the factory with one of the following OS versions, depending on your choice.
If you order devices from a reseller, please check with the reseller on the exact OS version that meets your requirements.
|Device||Windows 10||Windows 11|
|Surface Laptop Go 2||22H2||22H2|
|Surface Laptop Go 3||22H2||22H2|
|Surface Laptop 4||22H2||22H2|
|Surface Laptop 5||22H2||22H2|
|Surface Laptop Studio||22H2||22H2|
|Surface Go 3||22H2||22H2|
|Surface Go 4||22H2||22H2|
|Surface Pro 8||22H2||22H2|
|Surface Pro 9||22H2||22H2|
How to order
Commercial customers can place orders for new devices via authorized Microsoft Surface resellers.
- Windows 10 Downgrade Facilitation SKU offered for Windows 11-capable devices.
- Effective July 1, 2023, additional fee increased from $30 to $50 for all new eligible devices as well as the following devices: Surface Pro 9, Surface Laptop 5, Surface Go 3 LTE, and Surface Pro 8 LTE. The fee remains set at $30 for Surface Laptop Go 2, Surface Laptop 4, and Surface Laptop Studio.