Welcome to this online course on cloud computing. This domain is emerging and fast-evolving. Here, we will introduce the big picture of cloud computing, as well as explain how it has evolved to its current state. Learning these concepts will give you a better understanding about some of the motivating factors behind cloud computing services and why this is one of the fastest-growing technology segments in the industry today.
Cloud computing can be thought of as an evolved response to the computing needs of today. Our world is increasingly connected and data driven. Users, whether at home or work, generate and consume large amounts of data from various sources. A massive challenge has arisen in terms of managing and exploiting this data. Starting with this module, and throughout the course, you will see how cloud computing plays a central role in meeting this challenge.
In the first learning path of the course, we will:
- Introduce some of the fundamental ideas behind cloud computing.
- Explore the evolution of computing and the emergence of the cloud.
- Compare and contrast the different service models and types of clouds.
- Discuss some cloud use cases and popular cloud stacks.
In this module, you will:
- Explain the concept of cloud computing
- Briefly understand how computing systems across domains dealt with scale before the cloud
- Briefly recall the recent history of cloud computing, illustrating its evolution
- List some of the enabling technologies in cloud computing, and discuss their significance
- Differentiate cloud service models, such as IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS
- Enumerate the different types of clouds, and compare and contrast them
- List some of the common cloud providers and their associated cloud stacks
- Recall popular cloud use case scenarios