Get an introduction to virtualization, one of the many technologies that power the cloud. Learn what virtualization is, its benefits, and how cloud resources are shared.
In this module, you will:
- Identify major reasons that virtualization is becoming essential, especially on the cloud
- Identify some of the main limitations of traditional operating systems to enable the cloud computing paradigm
- Indicate how system complexity can be managed in terms of levels of abstractions and well-defined interfaces, and specify their applicability to virtualization and the cloud
- Define resource sharing, explain why it is needed, discuss its two main implementations, and indicate its applicability to virtualization
- Outline the main differences between sharing of uniprocessor and multiprocessor systems and the pros and cons of sharing multiprocessor systems in time and space
In partnership with Dr. Majd Sakr and Carnegie Mellon University.