PowerShell is a command-line shell and a scripting language all in one. It was designed as a task engine that uses cmdlets to wrap tasks that people need to do. In PowerShell, you can run commands on local or remote machines. You can do tasks like managing users and automating workflows.
Whether you're part of an operations team or a development team that's adopting DevOps principles, PowerShell can help. You can use it to address various tasks, such as managing cloud resources and continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD). PowerShell offers many helpful commands, but you can expand its capabilities at any time by installing modules.
When you install PowerShell, you can evaluate its features to see if it's a good fit for your team.
After completing this module, you'll be able to:
- Understand what PowerShell is and what you can use it for
- Use commands to automate tasks
- Basic familiarity with using a command-line shell like Command Prompt or Git Bash
- Visual Studio Code installed
- Ability to install Visual Studio Code extensions
- Ability to install software on your computer, if you're not using a Windows operating system