Devices connected through a Thunderbolt Dock stop working after the computer resumes from a power state
This article provides a workaround for an issue in which devices that are connected through a Thunderbolt Dock stop working after the computer resumes from a power state.
Applies to: Windows Client
Original KB number: 4532436
Consider the following scenario:
- On a computer that's running any version of Windows 10 or Windows 11, you enable Fast Startup.
- On a Thunderbolt Dock, several devices are attached. For example, a keyboard, mouse, and USB encryption key are attached.
- You repeatedly do the following steps:
- You connect the Thunderbolt Dock to the computer so that devices on the Thunderbolt Dock are enumerated.
- The system enters or resumes from a Modern Standby, Hibernate (S4), or Soft Off (S5) power state. During this activity, you plug or unplug the dock.
In this scenario, the devices stop working. Device Manager might show yellow exclamation points and Code 10, Code 24, or Code 43 for those devices.
When the issue occurs, the functionality of the devices can be restored by reattaching the Thunderbolt Dock. If this doesn't work, restart the computer.
For more information about Windows power states, see System Power States.