Error message when generating NDES enrollment challenge password on an NDES server that is running Windows Server 2012: Http error 500.0 - internal server error
This article helps work around an error that occurs when trying to get the NDES enrollment challenge password.
Applies to: Windows Server 2012 R2
Original KB number: 2800975
Assume that you install the Network Device Enrollment Service (NDES) role service on a server that is running Windows Server 2012. In this scenario, you receive the following error when trying to get the NDES enrollment challenge password:
Http error 500.0 - internal server error.
the page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred.
Additionally, an event that resembles the following is logged on the server on which the NDES role service is installed:
Log Name: Application
Date: date time
Event ID: 2
Task Category: None
Computer: computer name
The Network Device Enrollment Service cannot be started (0x800700ea). More data is available.
A workaround for this issue is to change the order of the handlers for the Microsoft Simple Certificate Enrollment Protocol (MSCEP) applications in IIS so that the ExtensionlessUrlHandler-ISAPI-4.0_64bit handler comes after the StaticFile handler. To do so, you can follow the steps below:
- Install and configure NDES (and CEP/CES).
- Open IIS.
- Select "Default Web Site".
- Click "View Applications" in the action panel on the right.
- Double-click the mscep application.
- Double-click "Handler Mappings".
- Click "View Ordered List..." in the action panel.
- Select ExtensionlessUrlHandler-ISAPI-4.0_64bit and move it down so it is below StaticFile.
- Repeat steps 6-8 for the mscep_admin application.
- Restart IIS.