Windows Defender Antivirus for Windows Server
Applies to: Windows Server 2022, Windows Server 2019, Windows Server 2016
Windows Server 2016 now includes Windows Defender Antivirus. Windows Defender AV is malware protection that immediately and actively protects Windows Server 2016 against known malware and can regularly update antimalware definitions through Windows Update.
View the Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 documentation library for more information.
While the functionality, configuration, and management for Windows Defender AV is largely the same in either Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016 and above, there are a few differences.
In Windows Server 2016, Windows Defender AV will not disable itself if you are running another antivirus product.
To learn more, see the following articles:
- Microsoft Defender Antivirus on Windows Server
- Enable and update Defender Antivirus to the latest version on Windows Server
- Configure Microsoft Defender Antivirus features
- Configure Microsoft Defender Antivirus exclusions on Windows Server
- Review event logs and error codes to troubleshoot issues with Microsoft Defender Antivirus
Submit and view feedback for