The mailbox location could not be determined error appears when testing and enabling a mailbox in Microsoft Dynamics 365
This article provides a solution to an error that occurs when you try to test and enable a mailbox in Microsoft Dynamics 365.
Applies to: Microsoft Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement Online
Original KB number: 4513810
When attempting to test and enable a mailbox in Dynamics 365, the results show as failure and the following error alerts appear:
"The mailbox location could not be determined while sending the email message "Your mailbox is now connected to Dynamics 365". Mailbox [Mailbox Name] didn't synchronize. The owner of the associated email server profile [Email Server Profile Name] has been notified."
"The location of the mailbox [Mailbox Name] could not be determined while receiving email. The owner of the associated email server profile [Email Server Profile Name] has been notified. The system will try to receive email again later."
This error can occur when you're connecting to Exchange on-premises and the Email Server Profile record in Dynamics 365 is configured with the Auto Discover Server Location setting set to Yes. When this option is selected, you don't provide your Exchange Web Services URL. Instead, Dynamics 365 tries to use the Autodiscover for Exchange to retrieve the correct location. If there are issues with the autodiscover service or it isn't configured correctly, this error can occur.
Either fix the autodiscover issue with Exchange or change the Auto Discover Server Location setting to No, and provide the Exchange Web Service URL. Use the steps below to change the Auto Discover Server Location setting.
- Access the Dynamics 365 web application as a user with the System Administrator security role.
- Navigate to Settings and then select Email Configuration.
- Select Email Server Profiles.
- Open your email server profile record for your Exchange on-premises configuration.
- Change the Auto Discover Server Location setting to No.
- Set the Incoming Server Location and Outgoing Server Location settings to your Exchange Web Services URL.
- Select Save.
- Try to test and enable the mailboxes again.