Transfer Inventory Between Locations
You can transfer inventory items between locations by creating transfer orders. Alternatively, you can use the item reclassification journal.
To transfer items, you must set up locations and transfer routes. To learn more about setting up locations, go to Set Up Locations. You can't use transfer orders for blank locations.
You can ship an outbound transfer from one location and receive an inbound transfer at the destination. You can:
- Track a quantity in transit
- Define calendars, routings, and inbound and outbound handling times for date calculation and planning. To learn more about planning, go to About Planning Functionality.
- Use different warehouse features for inbound and outbound locations.
- With some limitations, you can use transfer orders for direct transfers.
Item reclassification journals
- Simple, direct transfer of items between locations.
- Move items between bins. To learn more about transferring items between bins, go to Move Items Unplanned in Basic Warehouse Configurations
- Change a lot or serial number to a new lot or serial number. To learn more about reclassifying serial and lot numbers, go to Reclassify serial or lot numbers.
- Chang the expiration date to a new date.
- Reclassify items from a blank location to an actual location.
- Warehouse activities are not managed. Warehouse entries will be created.
To transfer items with a transfer order
Choose the icon, enter Transfer orders, and then choose the related link.
On the Transfer Order page, fill in the fields as necessary. Hover over a field to read a short description.
If you filled in the In-Transit Code, Shipping Agent Code, and Shipping Agent Service fields on the Trans. Route Spec. page when you set up the transfer route, the corresponding fields on the transfer order are filled in automatically.
When you fill in the Shipping Agent Service field, the receipt date at the transfer-to location is calculated by adding the shipping time of the shipping agent service to the shipment date.
To fill in the lines, either enter them manually or choose one of the following options on the under the Functions action:
- Choose the Get Bin Content action to select existing items from a specific bin at the location.
- Choose the Get Receipt Lines to select items that have just arrived at the transfer-from location.
As a warehouse worker at the transfer-from location, proceed to ship the items.
Choose the Post action, choose the Ship option, and then choose the OK button.
The items are now in transit between the specified locations, according to the specifies transfer route.
As a warehouse worker at the transfer-from location, proceed to receive the items. The transfer order lines are the same as when shipped and cannot be edited.
Choose the Post action, choose the Receive option, and then choose the OK button.
To transfer items with the item reclassification journal
Choose the icon, enter Item Reclass. Journals, and then choose the related link.
On the Item Reclass. Journal page, fill in the fields as necessary. Hover over a field to read a short description.
In the Location Code field, enter the location where the items are currently stored.
To transfer items that have no location code, leave the Location Code field blank.
In the New Location Code field, enter the location that you want to transfer the items to.
Choose the Post action.
See related Microsoft training
Set Up Locations
Work with Business Central
Change Which Features are Displayed
General Business Functionality
Submit and view feedback for