Use the sync app on virtual desktops
For all supported operating systems, the OneDrive sync app supports:
- Virtual desktops that persist between sessions.
- Non-persistent virtual desktops that use Azure Virtual Desktop.
- Non-persistent virtual desktops that have FSLogix Apps or FSLogix Office Container, and a Microsoft 365 subscription for all of the following operating systems:
- Windows 10, 32 or 64-bit (supports VHDX files)
- Windows 7, 32 or 64-bit (supports VHD files)
- Windows Server 2019 (supports VHDX)
- Windows Server 2016 (supports VHDX)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (supports VHDX)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (supports VHD)
It is not supported to roam the OneDrive registry hive as part of a non-persistent VDI environment. Do not roam
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive\ in your non-persistent VDI user profiles.
The minimum supported versions are: OneDrive 19.174.0902.0013 and FSLogix Apps 2.9.7653.47581.
Using the OneDrive sync app with non-persistent environments requires that you install the sync app per machine.
For Windows Server, the SMB network file sharing protocol is also required.
The OneDrive sync app is supported in a remote app scenario hosted as a Citrix Virtual App.
The OneDrive sync app with FSLogix does not support running multiple instances of the same container simultaneously.
For info about creating virtual hard disks, see Manage virtual hard disks.