Search is not working in sp 2016 while everything seems to be ok

munmun poddar 1 Reputation point
2022-11-08T13:07:47.357+00:00

Search is not working in our SP2016. We checked our Search Administration page and all components are in green tick. Crawl is also working as expected. We checked for one item that is crawled but still no results. On checking Event Viewer we found the below error:
Event 223 (Search) of severity 'Critical' occurred 3 more time(s) and was suppressed in the event log

Somewhere in ULS logs we found:
WcfSendRequest: RemoteAddress: 'http://idcdeba099-app1:32843/da9c1114d0a14d9f88559594588a078f/SearchService.svc' Channel: 'Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.ISearchServiceApplication' Action: 'http://tempuri.org/ISearchSiteAdministrationServiceApplication/GetSearchApplicationName' MessageId: 'urn:uuid:c0d2e0c3-b8da-4fb3-9b2c-3258e5de7241'

Can anyone help what could be the root cause of this issue and how to resolve it?

SharePoint Server
SharePoint Server
A family of Microsoft on-premises document management and storage systems.
2,272 questions
SharePoint Server Management
SharePoint Server Management
SharePoint Server: A family of Microsoft on-premises document management and storage systems.Management: The act or process of organizing, handling, directing or controlling something.
2,864 questions
{count} votes

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Yanli Jiang - MSFT 22,656 Reputation points Microsoft Vendor
    2022-11-10T08:53:45.67+00:00

    Hi @munmun poddar ,
    The cause of the problem is more complicated, I can't reproduce it in my environment, I found some posts similar to yours for your reference:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/149353e4-7df8-49ca-b85a-fafde049efff/event-id-2159-event-45-and-223
    https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/230596/cannot-get-sharepoint-2016-search-working
    Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find additional information about this topic. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of third-party contact information.
    *
    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".
    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. munmun poddar 1 Reputation point
    2022-11-10T09:22:52.427+00:00

    I did all the steps mentioned in the posts. But Finally found that there was time synch issue between my app and wf server which caused this problem. We sycnhed the server time and it got resolved.

    0 comments No comments

  3. Yanli Jiang - MSFT 22,656 Reputation points Microsoft Vendor
    2022-11-10T12:58:28.587+00:00

    Hi @munmun poddar ,
    Great to know that and thanks for sharing the update here.

    By the way, since the Microsoft Q&A community has a policy that "The question author cannot accept their own answer. They can only accept answers by others.". and according to the scenario introduced here: Answering your own questions on Microsoft Q&A, I would make a brief summary of this thread:

    [Search is not working in sp 2016 while everything seems to be ok]

    Issue Symptom:
    Search is not working in our SP2016. We checked our Search Administration page and all components are in green tick. Crawl is also working as expected. We checked for one item that is crawled but still no results. On checking Event Viewer we found the below error:
    Event 223 (Search) of severity 'Critical' occurred 3 more time(s) and was suppressed in the event log

    Somewhere in ULS logs we found:
    WcfSendRequest: RemoteAddress: 'http://idcdeba099-app1:32843/da9c1114d0a14d9f88559594588a078f/SearchService.svc' Channel: 'Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.ISearchServiceApplication' Action: 'http://tempuri.org/ISearchSiteAdministrationServiceApplication/GetSearchApplicationName' MessageId: 'urn:uuid:c0d2e0c3-b8da-4fb3-9b2c-3258e5de7241'

    Current status:
    Finally found that there was time synch issue between my app and wf server which caused this problem. We sycnhed the server time and it got resolved.
    *
    You could click the "Accept Answer" button for this summary to close this thread, and this can make it easier for other community members to see the useful information when reading this thread. Thanks for your understanding!