Visual Studio for Mac is using high CPU and slow

James Horrocks 0 Reputation points
2023-02-15T01:20:51.6733333+00:00

I have a 2017 iMAC Pro (Bought 2019):

3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W

Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 ECC

2TB SSD Hard drive

I have Visual Studio 2022 and also Visual Studio 2022 Preview (To test if the none preview is buggy) and both are slow, using sometimes up to 200% of CPU and 12GB of RAM in Activity Monitor.

I have reinstalled MAC OS Ventura 2 times and reinstalled VS for Mac so many times, cleared cache etc...

The editor when editing either a .razor or razor.cs file keeps hanging. As an example, as I press a key on the keyborad, it sometimes can take 1 second to display 1 key pressed. So if I press 10 keys on the keyboard, I have to wait and watch the keys being pressed in the editor over 10 to 15 seconds.

I purchased CleanMyMac and did things like Clear RAM, run Maintenance scripts and clear cache files but nothing happens.

The only thing I can do is restart my iMac Pro and have normal use for a few minutes until it becomes unusable again.

I have disabled all extensions except debug.

I am developing a Blazor Server App ASPNET Core 7.0, no mobile development.

All other apps on my iMac work super fast and no issues, only Visual Studio for Mac. (Even when I close all other apps).

I have searched numerous posts over the last 3 years WHY its happening, I have done everything to try and resolve this issue making sure I have all the latest update, disabled extentions etc.... but nothing works.

How can I solve this issue?

Regards

J

Developer technologies | Visual Studio | Other
Developer technologies | Visual Studio | Other

A family of Microsoft suites of integrated development tools for building applications for Windows, the web, mobile devices and many other platforms. Miscellaneous topics that do not fit into specific categories.


2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. jeffgoku 0 Reputation points
    2023-04-11T04:37:53.9+00:00

    its always using so many CPU resources, even on idle, when I took a sample with mac activity monitor on the high load vs process, I saw many threads calling DispatchCallSimple and MethodDescCallSite::CallTargetWorker recursively in libcoreclr.dylib with a deep call stack, it's really annoying!

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Tianyu Sun-MSFT 34,841 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff
    2023-02-15T10:22:15.6266667+00:00

    Hello @James Horrocks ,

    Thank you for taking time to post this issue in Microsoft Q&A forum.

    If you are using the latest version of Visual Studio for Mac and you can confirm that there aren't any other applications/processes which make VS for Mac slow, then, in case it’s a potential issue, please kindly submit a ticket on our Developer Community and attach the related system log file for further investigate.

    Thanks for your understanding, have a nice day.

    Sincerely,

    Tianyu


    If the answer is the right solution, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.