Custom domain name is registered in a Tenant I no longer can access, how can I remove it

Nicholas Wilkinson 0 Reputation points
2023-03-06T02:38:27.53+00:00

Hi all,

I am trying to register a domain name in my AAD but it's registered in an AAD I made years ago and forgot the password to for the GA.

I tried to login to the GA account using <username>@<customdomain>.com and it says it can't be reset because I never enabled password resetting. I do have a user account that I can use to access the tenant but it has no permissions to do anything.

My question is, how do I get into this GA when the password is unknown and can not be reset? I can prove ownership but there seems to be know way to get direct support unless I pay up.

Any help is appreicated.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Entra ID

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. JamesTran-MSFT 37,356 Reputation points Microsoft Employee Moderator
    2023-03-07T18:46:54.9466667+00:00

    @Nicholas Wilkinson

    Thank you for your post!

    I understand that you're trying to register a custom domain within your Azure AD tenant, but the domain is currently registered with a tenant you created years ago, and currently you aren't able to login to your older tenant's Global Admin account.

    As mentioned by @JimmySalian-2011 , since you're able to login to your older tenant, prove ownership of that tenant and domain, and the issue is with getting access to your Global Admin account. I'd recommend reaching out to our Global Customer Service team, or contacting the Azure Data Protection team - (866-807-5850), so they work on getting you back into your Global Admin account.

    Note: If you have an active Azure subscription and would like to work with our support team on this, please let me know and I can enable your subscription for a free one-time technical support request so you can get this issue resolved.

    I hope this helps!


    If you have any other questions, please let me know. Thank you for your time and patience throughout this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. JimmySalian-2011 45,986 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-03-06T11:44:42.2666667+00:00

    @Nicholas Wilkinson if you have proof of the old tenant and you are the GA I will suggest you to raise a support case with Microsoft, support plan is required to raise a support case and if you want access to the tenant that is the only way unfortunately.

    Contact Info

    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-ca/support/create-ticket/

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/global-customer-service-phone-numbers-c0389ade-5640-e588-8b0e-28de8afeb3f2

    Hope this helps.

    JS

    ==

    Please accept as answer and do a Thumbs-up to upvote this response if you are satisfied with the community help. Your upvote will be beneficial for the community users facing similar issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.