Exchange 2016 Test-ReplicationHealth - DatabaseAvailability FAILED

Hollisorama 381 Reputation points
2021-02-25T02:34:51.78+00:00

I'm not sure why I'm having a failure with this command.

71866-image.png

The database is healthy and mounted on the server which shows the error above

71911-image.png

When I look at further databasecopy status output, I see the failure there too and the last check passed date is a long time ago.

71835-image.png

The HighAvailability component is running.

71778-image.png

We have two nodes in each of our two sites and we have Intrasite Activation mode enabled. Automatic failover of the databases during patching and other maintenance works fine.

I'm not sure what to do to fix this.

Exchange Server Management
Exchange Server Management
Exchange Server: A family of Microsoft client/server messaging and collaboration software.Management: The act or process of organizing, handling, directing or controlling something.
7,427 questions
{count} votes

Accepted answer
  1. Hollisorama 381 Reputation points
    2021-02-27T21:11:19.03+00:00

    This is what I ran to fix the component states

    $ServerName = 'COLO-EXCH1'
    $RequesterToFix = 'Functional'
    $ComponentsToFix = 'RecoveryActionsEnabled', 'Monitoring'

    foreach($ComponentToFix in $ComponentsToFix){
    Set-ServerComponentState -Identity $ServerName -Component $ComponentToFix -Requester $RequesterToFix -State Active
    }

    After running the detection script I wrote again, I don't see anything else Inactive. I still have the warning message when running Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus -Server COLO-EXCH1 | FL

    I'm going to give AD replication some time to work given the fact that the remote values are what needed to change. I also read that some components need to restart which apparently happens automatically

    Here are some articles I was reading

    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/server-component-states-in-exchange-2013/ba-p/591342
    https://www.ntweekly.com/2016/03/09/exchange-server-2016-2013-component-highavailability-state-is-offline-error/
    https://www.codetwo.com/admins-blog/exchange-2013-components-inactive/

    0 comments No comments

8 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. KyleXu-MSFT 26,226 Reputation points
    2021-02-26T07:03:38.733+00:00

    @Hollisorama

    The error is mainly caused by "-DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy" set to "IntrasiteOnly". I think there may exist issue with the communication between mounted active database and passive database.

    I would suggest you set it to "Unrestricted", then use "Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy -Identity DB1\MBX1" to make sure all database copy is update to data, then change the "DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy" back to "IntrasiteOnly".


    If the response is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and upvote it.
    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    0 comments No comments

  2. Hollisorama 381 Reputation points
    2021-02-26T21:55:18.037+00:00

    Thanks @KyleXu-MSFT . I will try that on one of the databases and let you know how it goes.


  3. Hollisorama 381 Reputation points
    2021-02-27T17:55:01.86+00:00

    Toggling Unrestricted on resolved the issue, however when I toggle IntrasiteOnly back on, the error returns. It's odd that the warning is only for the databases that are active at one datacenter but not the copies that are active in the other datacenter. I toggled it back to Unrestricted for now. I'm going to give it a little more time to see if Active Manager needs to do some other checks.

    0 comments No comments

  4. Hollisorama 381 Reputation points
    2021-02-27T18:13:25.58+00:00

    Even with Unrestricted turn on, I still see this on the servers in the one datacenter where we see the problem

    72570-image.png