What's new in Azure Cognitive Services Translator?
Bookmark this page to stay up to date with release notes, feature enhancements, and our newest documentation.
Translator is a language service that enables users to translate text and documents, helps entities expand their global outreach, and supports preservation of at-risk and endangered languages.
Translator service supports language translation for more than 100 languages. If your language community is interested in partnering with Microsoft to add your language to Translator, contact us via the Translator community partner onboarding form.
Announcing new releases for Build 2023
Text Translation SDK (preview)
- To learn more, see Text translation SDK overview.
- To get started, try a Text Translation SDK quickstart using a programming language of your choice.
Microsoft Translator V3 Connector (preview)
The Translator V3 Connector is now available in public preview. The connector creates a connection between your Translator Service instance and Microsoft Power Automate enabling you to use one or more prebuilt operations as steps in your apps and workflows. To learn more, see the following documentation:
Document Translation in Language Studio is now available for Public Preview. The feature provides a no-code user interface to interactively translate documents from local or Azure Blob Storage.
Custom Translator stable GA v2.0 release
Custom Translator version v2.0 is generally available and ready for use in your production applications!
Document Translation stable GA 1.0.0 release
Document Translation .NET and Python client-library SDKs are now generally available and ready for use in production applications!
Version 1.0.0 (GA) 2022-06-07
SDK reference documentation
Document Translation support for scanned PDF documents
- Document Translation uses optical character recognition (OCR) technology to extract and translate text in scanned PDF document while retaining the original layout.
Text and document translation support for Faroese
- Translator service has text and document translation language support for Faroese, a Germanic language originating on the Faroe Islands. The Faroe Islands are a self-governing region within the Kingdom of Denmark located between Norway and Iceland. Faroese is descended from Old West Norse spoken by Vikings in the Middle Ages.
Text and document translation support for Basque and Galician
- Translator service has text and document translation language support for Basque and Galician. Basque is a language isolate, meaning it isn't related to any other modern language. It's spoken in parts of northern Spain and southern France. Galician is spoken in northern Portugal and western Spain. Both Basque and Galician are official languages of Spain.
Text and document translation support for Somali and Zulu languages
- Translator service has text and document translation language support for Somali and Zulu. The Somali language, spoken throughout Africa, has more than 21 million speakers and is in the Cushitic branch of the Afroasiatic language family. The Zulu language has 12 million speakers and is recognized as one of South Africa's 11 official languages.
Text and document translation support for Upper Sorbian,
- Translator service has text and document translation language support for Upper Sorbian. The Translator team has worked tirelessly to preserve indigenous and endangered languages around the world. Language data provided by the Upper Sorbian language community was instrumental in introducing this language to Translator.
Text and document translation support for Inuinnaqtun and Romanized Inuktitut
- Translator service has text and document translation language support for Inuinnaqtun and Romanized Inuktitut. Both are indigenous languages that are essential and treasured foundations of Canadian culture and society.
Custom Translator portal (v2.0) public preview
The Custom Translator portal (v2.0) is now in public preview and includes significant changes that makes it easier to create your custom translation systems.
To learn more, see our Custom Translator documentation and try our quickstart for step-by-step instructions.
Text and document support for more than 100 languages
- Translator service has added text and document language support for the following languages:
- Bashkir. A Turkic language spoken by approximately 1.4 million native speakers. It has three regional language groups: Southern, Eastern, and Northwestern.
- Dhivehi. Also known as Maldivian, it's an Indo-Aryan language primarily spoken in the island country of Maldives.
- Georgian. A Kartvelian language that is the official language of Georgia. It has approximately 4 million speakers.
- Kyrgyz. A Turkic language that is the official language of Kyrgyzstan.
- Macedonian (Cyrillic). An Eastern South Slavic language that is the official language of North Macedonia. It has approximately 2 million people.
- Mongolian (Traditional). Traditional Mongolian script is the first writing system created specifically for the Mongolian language. Mongolian is the official language of Mongolia.
- Tatar. A Turkic language used by speakers in modern Tatarstan. It's closely related to Crimean Tatar and Siberian Tatar but each belongs to different subgroups.
- Tibetan. It has nearly 6 million speakers and can be found in many Tibetan Buddhist publications.
- Turkmen. The official language of Turkmenistan. It's similar to Turkish and Azerbaijani.
- Uyghur. A Turkic language with nearly 15 million speakers. It's spoken primarily in Western China.
- Uzbek (Latin). A Turkic language that is the official language of Uzbekistan. It has 34 million native speakers.
These additions bring the total number of languages supported in Translator to 103.
Text and document translation support for literary Chinese
- Azure Cognitive Services Translator has text and document language support for literary Chinese. Classical or literary Chinese is a traditional style of written Chinese used by traditional Chinese poets and in ancient Chinese poetry.
Document Translation client libraries for C#/.NET and Python—now available in prerelease
Document Translation ― now generally available
- Feature release: Translator's Document Translation feature is generally available. Document Translation is designed to translate large files and batch documents with rich content while preserving original structure and format. You can also use custom glossaries and custom models built with Custom Translator to ensure your documents are translated quickly and accurately.
Translator service available in containers
- New release: Translator service is available in containers as a gated preview. Submit an online request and have it approved prior to getting started. Containers enable you to run several Translator service features in your own environment and are great for specific security and data governance requirements. See, Install and run Translator containers (preview)
Document Translation public preview
- New release: Document Translation is available as a preview feature of the Translator Service. Preview features are still in development and aren't meant for production use. They're made available on a "preview" basis so customers can get early access and provide feedback. Document Translation enables you to translate large documents and process batch files while still preserving the original structure and format. See Microsoft Translator blog: Introducing Document Translation
Text and document translation support for nine added languages
Translator service has text and document translation language support for the following languages:
- Albanian. An isolate language unrelated to any other and spoken by nearly 8 million people.
- Amharic. An official language of Ethiopia spoken by approximately 32 million people. It's also the liturgical language of the Ethiopian Orthodox church.
- Armenian. The official language of Armenia with 5-7 million speakers.
- Azerbaijani. A Turkic language spoken by approximately 23 million people.
- Khmer. The official language of Cambodia with approximately 16 million speakers.
- Lao. The official language of Laos with 30 million native speakers.
- Myanmar. The official language of Myanmar, spoken as a first language by approximately 33 million people.
- Nepali. The official language of Nepal with approximately 16 million native speakers.
- Tigrinya. A language spoken in Eritrea and northern Ethiopia with nearly 11 million speakers.
Text and document translation support for Inuktitut
- Translator service has text and document translation language support for Inuktitut, one of the principal Inuit languages of Canada. Inuktitut is one of eight official aboriginal languages in the Northwest Territories.
Custom Translator V2 is generally available
- New release: Custom Translator V2 upgrade is fully available to the generally available (GA). The V2 platform enables you to build custom models with all document types (training, testing, tuning, phrase dictionary, and sentence dictionary). See Microsoft Translator blog: Custom Translator pushes the translation quality bar closer to human parity.
Text and document translation support for Canadian French
- Translator service has text and document translation language support for Canadian French. Canadian French and European French are similar to one another and are mutually understandable. However, there can be significant differences in vocabulary, grammar, writing, and pronunciation. Over 7 million Canadians (20 percent of the population) speak French as their first language.
Text and document translation support for Assamese and Axomiya
- Translator service has text and document translation language support for Assamese also knows as Axomiya. Assamese / Axomiya is primarily spoken in Eastern India by approximately 14 million people.
Introducing virtual networks and private links for translator
- New release: Virtual network capabilities and Azure private links for Translator are generally available (GA). Azure private links allow you to access Translator and your Azure hosted services over a private endpoint in your virtual network. You can use private endpoints for Translator to allow clients on a virtual network to securely access data over a private link. See Microsoft Translator blog: Virtual Networks and Private Links for Translator are generally available
Custom Translator upgrade to v2
- New release: Custom Translator V2 phase 1 is available. The newest version of Custom Translator rolls out in two phases to provide quicker translation and quality improvements, and allow you to keep your training data in the region of your choice. See Microsoft Translator blog: Custom Translator: Introducing higher quality translations and regional data residency
Text and document translation support for two Kurdish regional languages
- Northern (Kurmanji) Kurdish (15 million native speakers) and Central (Sorani) Kurdish (7 million native speakers). Most Kurdish texts are written in Kurmanji and Sorani.
Text and document translation support for two Afghan languages
- Dari (20 million native speakers) and Pashto (40 - 60 million speakers). The two official languages of Afghanistan.
Text and document translation support for Odia
- Odia is a classical language spoken by 35 million people in India and across the world. It joins Bangla, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, and English as the 12th most used language of India supported by Microsoft Translator.
Submit and view feedback for