Azure HDInsight release notes
This article provides information about the most recent Azure HDInsight release updates. For information on earlier releases, see HDInsight Release Notes Archive.
Azure HDInsight is one of the most popular services among enterprise customers for open-source analytics on Azure. Subscribe to our release notes and watch releases on this GitHub repository.
Release date: February 28, 2023
This release applies to HDInsight 4.0. and 5.0, 5.1. HDInsight release will be available to all regions over several days. This release is applicable for image number 2302250400. How to check the image number?
HDInsight uses safe deployment practices, which involve gradual region deployment. it may take up to 10 business days for a new release or a new version to be available in all regions.
- HDInsight 4.0: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS Linux Kernel 5.4
- HDInsight 5.0: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS Linux Kernel 5.4
For workload specific versions, see
Microsoft has issued CVE-2023-23408, which is fixed on the current release and customers are advised to upgrade their clusters to latest image.
We have started rolling out a new version of HDInsight 5.1. All new open-source releases added as incremental releases on HDInsight 5.1.
For more information, see HDInsight 5.1.0 version
Kafka 3.2.0 Upgrade (Preview)
- Kafka 3.2.0 includes several significant new features/improvements.
- Upgraded Zookeeper to 3.6.3
- Kafka Streams support
- Stronger delivery guarantees for the Kafka producer enabled by default.
- log4j 1.x replaced with reload4j.
- Send a hint to the partition leader to recover the partition.
LeaveGroupRequesthave a reason attached.
- Added Broker count metrics8.
- Mirror Maker2 improvements.
HBase 2.4.11 Upgrade (Preview)
- This version has new features such as the addition of new caching mechanism types for block cache, the ability to alter
hbase:meta tableand view the
hbase:metatable from the HBase WEB UI.
Phoenix 5.1.2 Upgrade (Preview)
- Phoenix version upgraded to 5.1.2 in this release. This upgrade includes the Phoenix Query Server. The Phoenix Query Server proxies the standard Phoenix JDBC driver and provides a backwards-compatible wire protocol to invoke that JDBC driver.
- Multiple Ambari CVEs are fixed.
ESP isn't supported for Kafka and HBase in this release.
End of support for Azure HDInsight clusters on Spark 2.4 February 10, 2024. For more information, see Spark versions supported in Azure HDInsight
- Cluster name change limitation
- The max length of cluster name will be changed to 45 from 59 in Public, Mooncake and Fairfax.
- Cluster permissions for secure storage
- Customers can specify (during cluster creation) whether a secure channel should be used for HDInsight cluster nodes to contact the storage account.
- Non-ESP ABFS clusters [Cluster Permissions for World Readable]
- Plan to introduce a change in non-ESP ABFS clusters, which restricts non-Hadoop group users from executing Hadoop commands for storage operations. This change to improve cluster security posture. Customers need to plan for the updates.
- Open-source upgrades
- Apache Spark 3.3.0 and Hadoop 3.3.4 are under development on HDInsight 5.1 and will include several significant new features, performance and other improvements.
We advise customers to use to latest versions of HDInsight Images as they bring in the best of open source updates, Azure updates and security fixes.
Submit and view feedback for