Set up organization hierarchies
This article describes how to set up organization hierarchies in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Commerce.
Before creating channels, you'll want to ensure you have set up your organization hierarchies.
You can use organization hierarchies to view and report on your business from various perspectives. For example, you can set up one hierarchy for tax, legal, or statutory reporting. You can then set up another hierarchy to report financial information that is not legally required, but that is used for internal reporting.
For more information, see the following articles.
- Organizations and organizational hierarchies overview
- Plan your organization hierarchy
- Create an organization hierarchy
Create an organizational hierarchy
To create an organizational hierarchy, follow these steps.
- In the navigation pane, go to Modules > Retail and commerce > Channel Setup > Organization hierarchies.
- On the action pane, select New.
- In the Name field, enter a value.
- In the Purpose section, select Assign purpose.
- In the list, find and select the desired record. Select a purpose to assign to your organization hierarchy.
- In the Assigned hierarchies section, select Add.
- In the list, mark the selected row. Find the hierarchy you just created.
- Select OK.
The following image shows an example organizational hierarchy created for a fictitious "Adventure Works" set of stores.
Add organizations to a hierarchy
To add organizations to a hierarchy, follow these steps.
- In the list, find and select the desired record. Select your hierarchy.
- On the action pane, select View.
- Add organizations, as necessary.
- To add an organization, select Edit and then select Insert. When you are done making changes you can save a draft and publish the changes.
The following image shows a legal entity added at the hierarchy root with four cost centers added for "Mall", "Outlet", "Online" and "Call Center" channels. Various retail, call center and online channels can then be added to each.