Scan business cards in Dynamics 365 Sales
The integrated business card scanner in Dynamics 365 Sales helps salespeople to quickly scan business cards of the prospective customers they’ve met in the fields. It reads basic information from the card and populates data in fields of lead or contact records in Dynamics 365 Sales, so salespeople don’t spend time on entering the data manually and can focus on more important tasks.
- To learn about the availability of the business card feature in a region, see Feature availability by region.
- Ensure that your security role has read permissions for the msdyn_AIModel and msdyn_AITemplate tables. To get permissions, contact your system administrator. More information: Security roles and privileges
- To know about the business card scan limits with your user license, see the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Licensing Guide.
- The card scanner is available in lead and contact forms. If you'd like to add the card scanner to other forms, see Use the business card reader component in model-driven apps in Power Apps
License and role requirements
|You must have
|Dynamics 365 Sales Premium or Dynamics 365 Sales Enterprise.
More information: Dynamics 365 Sales pricing
|Basic User in Power Platform
More information: Assign security roles to users in a Dataverse environment
Assign security roles to users in non-Dataverse environment
Scan a business card
On the nav bar, select the New button and then select Contact or Lead.
On the Quick Create form, select Scan Business Card.
If you’re using the Dynamics 365 Sales app on a desktop, browse to the folder where the business card picture is stored, select the business card picture, and then select Insert.
If you are using a mobile phone, use the mobile phone camera to capture the business card picture.
The details like first name, last name, job title, and email will be automatically populated from the business card. Account name is not populated automatically as it's a lookup field. You can select it manually in the Account Name field.
- When you save the Contact or Lead records, a Duplicate Records detected dialog box is shown if duplicate records are found based on the available duplicate detection rules. You can choose whether you want to create a duplicate record or not.
- When you save the Contact or Lead record, the business card is also associated and stored in the records, so you can refer to it later. If your system administrator has set the Always retain business card images after scanning option option to No, the business card image won't be saved.
Can't find the options in your app?
There are three possibilities:
- You don't have the necessary license or role.
- Your administrator hasn't turned on the feature.
- Your organization is using a custom app. Check with your administrator for exact steps. The steps described in this article are specific to the out-of-the-box Sales Hub and Sales Professional apps.