Tutorial: Register an application with the Microsoft identity platform
To interact with the Microsoft identity platform, Microsoft Entra ID must be made aware of the application you create. This tutorial shows you how to register a web application in a tenant on the Microsoft Entra admin center.
In this tutorial:
- Register a web application in a tenant
- Record the web application's unique identifiers
- Add a platform redirect URI
- An Azure account with an active subscription. Create an account for free.
- This Azure account must have permissions to manage applications. Use any of the following roles needed to register the application:
- Application Administrator
- Application developer
- Cloud Application Administrator
Register the application and record identifiers
To complete registration, provide the application a name and specify the supported account types. Once registered, the application Overview pane displays the identifiers needed in the application source code.
Sign in to the Microsoft Entra admin center.
If you have access to multiple tenants, use the Settings icon in the top menu to switch to the tenant in which you want to register the application from the Directories + subscriptions menu.
Browse to Identity > Applications > App registrations, select New registration.
Enter a Name for the application, such as identity-client-web-app.
For Supported account types, select Accounts in this organizational directory only. For information on different account types, select the Help me choose option.
The application's Overview pane is displayed when registration is complete. Record the Directory (tenant) ID and the Application (client) ID to be used in your application source code.
The Supported account types can be changed by referring to Modify the accounts supported by an application.