Common Conditional Access policy: User risk-based password change
Microsoft works with researchers, law enforcement, various security teams at Microsoft, and other trusted sources to find leaked username and password pairs. Organizations with Microsoft Entra ID P2 licenses can create Conditional Access policies incorporating Microsoft Entra ID Protection user risk detections.
There are two locations where this policy may be configured, Conditional Access and Identity Protection. Configuration using a Conditional Access policy is the preferred method providing more context including enhanced diagnostic data, report-only mode integration, Graph API support, and the ability to utilize other Conditional Access attributes like sign-in frequency in the policy.
Organizations can choose to deploy this policy using the steps outlined below or using the Conditional Access templates.
Enable with Conditional Access policy
- Sign in to the Microsoft Entra admin center as at least a Conditional Access Administrator.
- Browse to Protection > Conditional Access.
- Select Create new policy.
- Give your policy a name. We recommend that organizations create a meaningful standard for the names of their policies.
- Under Assignments, select Users or workload identities.
- Under Include, select All users.
- Under Exclude, select Users and groups and choose your organization's emergency access or break-glass accounts.
- Under Target resources > Cloud apps > Include, select All cloud apps.
- Under Conditions > User risk, set Configure to Yes.
- Under Configure user risk levels needed for policy to be enforced, select High.
- Select Done.
- Under Access controls > Grant.
- Select Grant access, Require multifactor authentication and Require password change.
- Select Select.
- Under Session.
- Select Sign-in frequency.
- Ensure Every time is selected.
- Select Select.
- Confirm your settings, and set Enable policy to Report-only.
- Select Create to create to enable your policy.
After administrators confirm the settings using report-only mode, they can move the Enable policy toggle from Report-only to On.
- Require reauthentication every time
- Remediate risks and unblock users
- Conditional Access common policies
- Sign-in risk-based Conditional Access
- Determine effect using Conditional Access report-only mode
- Use report-only mode for Conditional Access to determine the results of new policy decisions.
- What is Microsoft Entra ID Protection?