Tutorial: Configure Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation for automatic user provisioning
This tutorial describes the steps you need to perform in both Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation and Microsoft Entra ID to configure automatic user provisioning. When configured to do so, Microsoft Entra ID automatically provisions and deprovisions users and groups to Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation by using the Microsoft Entra provisioning service. For important details on what this service does, how it works, and frequently asked questions, see Automate user provisioning and deprovisioning to SaaS applications with Microsoft Entra ID.
- Create users in Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation
- Remove users in Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation when they don't require access anymore
- Keep user attributes synchronized between Microsoft Entra ID and Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation
- Single sign-on to Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation (recommended)
The scenario outlined in this tutorial assumes that you already have the following:
- A Microsoft Entra tenant.
- A user account in Microsoft Entra ID with permission to configure provisioning. Examples include application administrator, cloud application administrator, application owner, or global administrator.
- Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation version 184.108.40.206X or later.
Plan your provisioning deployment
Follow these steps for planning:
- Learn about how the provisioning service works.
- Determine who will be in scope for provisioning.
- Determine what data to map between Microsoft Entra ID and Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation.
Configure to support provisioning with Microsoft Entra ID
To configure Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation to support provisioning with Microsoft Entra ID, follow these steps:
Sign in to your work portal as a user with Admin permissions.
Go to Admin > Security > OAuth 2 Applications.
For Grant Type, select Bearer token. For Allowed Scope, select API and USER SYNC. Then select Save.
Copy and save the Client Secret. In the Azure portal, for your Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation application, on the Provisioning tab, the client secret value is entered in the Secret Token field.
Add the application from the Microsoft Entra gallery
To start managing provisioning to Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation, add the app from the Microsoft Entra application gallery. If you have previously set up Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation for single sign-on, you can use the same application. When you're initially testing the integration, however, you should create a separate app. For more information, see Quickstart: Add an application to your Microsoft Entra tenant.
Define who is in scope for provisioning
With the Microsoft Entra provisioning service, you can scope who is provisioned based on assignment to the application, based on attributes of the user and group, or both. If you scope based on assignment, see the steps in Assign or unassign users, and groups, for an app using the Graph API to assign users and groups to the application. If you scope based solely on attributes of the user or group, you can use a scoping filter. For more information, see Attribute-based application provisioning with scoping filters.
Note the following points about scoping:
- Start small. Test with a small set of users and groups before rolling out to everyone. When scope for provisioning is set to assigned users and groups, you can control this by assigning one or two users or groups to the app. When scope is set to all users and groups, you can specify an attribute based scoping filter.
- If you need additional roles, you can update the application manifest to add new roles.
Configure automatic user provisioning
This section guides you through the steps to configure the Microsoft Entra provisioning service to create, update, and disable users and groups. You're doing this in your test app, based on user and group assignments in Microsoft Entra ID.
Configure automatic user provisioning for Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation in Microsoft Entra ID
Browse to Identity > Applications > Enterprise applications.
In the applications list, select Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation.
Select the Provisioning tab.
Set Provisioning Mode to Automatic.
In the Admin Credentials section, enter your tenant URL and secret token for Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation.
Tenant URL: Enter the Bizagi SCIM endpoint, with the following structure:
<Your_Bizagi_Project>/scim/v2/. For example:
Secret token: This value is retrieved from the step discussed earlier in this article.
To ensure that Microsoft Entra ID can connect to Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation, select Test Connection. If the connection fails, ensure that your Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation account has administrator permissions, and try again.
For Notification Email, enter the email address of a person or group who should receive the provisioning error notifications. Select the option to Send an email notification when a failure occurs.
In the Mappings section, select Synchronize Microsoft Entra users to Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation.
In the Attribute-Mapping section, review the user attributes that are synchronized from Microsoft Entra ID to Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation. The attributes selected as Matching properties are used to match the user accounts in Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation for update operations. If you change the matching target attribute, you must ensure that the Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation API supports filtering users based on that attribute. Select Save to commit any changes.
Attribute Type Supported for filtering userName String ✓ active Boolean emails[type eq "work"].value String name.givenName String name.familyName String name.formatted String phoneNumbers[type eq "mobile"].value String
Custom extension attributes can be added by navigating to Show advanced options > Edit attribute list for Bizagi. The custom extension attributes must be prefixed with urn:ietf:params:scim:schemas:extension:bizagi:2.0:UserProperties:. For example, if custom extension attribute is IdentificationNumber, the attribute must be added as urn:ietf:params:scim:schemas:extension:bizagi:2.0:UserProperties:IdentificationNumber. Select Save to commit any changes.
More information on how to add custom attributes can be found in Customize Application Attributes.
Only basic type properties are supported (for example, String, Integer, Boolean, DateTime, etc). The properties linked to parametric tables or multiple types are not supported yet.
To configure scoping filters, see the Scoping filter tutorial.
To enable the Microsoft Entra provisioning service for Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation, in the Settings section, change the Provisioning Status to On.
Define the users and groups that you want to provision to Bizagi Studio for Digital Process Automation. In the Settings section, choose the desired values in Scope.
When you're ready to provision, select Save.
This operation starts the initial synchronization cycle of all users and groups defined in Scope in the Settings section. The initial cycle takes longer to perform than subsequent cycles, which occur approximately every 40 minutes as long as the Microsoft Entra provisioning service is running.
Monitor your deployment
After you've configured provisioning, use the following resources to monitor your deployment:
- Use the provisioning logs to determine which users have been provisioned successfully or unsuccessfully.
- Check the progress bar to see the status of the provisioning cycle, and how close it is to completion.
- If the provisioning configuration is in an unhealthy state, the application will go into quarantine. For more information, see Application provisioning in quarantine status.
- Managing user account provisioning for Enterprise Apps
- What is application access and single sign-on with Microsoft Entra ID?