Tutorial: Microsoft Entra single sign-on (SSO) integration with Netvision Compas
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to integrate Netvision Compas with Microsoft Entra ID. When you integrate Netvision Compas with Microsoft Entra ID, you can:
- Control in Microsoft Entra ID who has access to Netvision Compas.
- Enable your users to be automatically signed-in to Netvision Compas with their Microsoft Entra accounts.
- Manage your accounts in one central location.
To learn more about SaaS app integration with Microsoft Entra ID, see What is application access and single sign-on with Microsoft Entra ID.
To get started, you need the following items:
- A Microsoft Entra subscription. If you don't have a subscription, you can get a free account.
- Netvision Compas single sign-on (SSO) enabled subscription.
In this tutorial, you configure and test Microsoft Entra SSO in a test environment.
- Netvision Compas supports SP and IDP initiated SSO
- Once you configure Netvision Compas you can enforce Session Control, which protects exfiltration and infiltration of your organization's sensitive data in real time. Session Control extends from Conditional Access. Learn how to enforce session control with Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps.
Adding Netvision Compas from the gallery
To configure the integration of Netvision Compas into Microsoft Entra ID, you need to add Netvision Compas from the gallery to your list of managed SaaS apps.
- Sign in to the Microsoft Entra admin center as at least a Cloud Application Administrator.
- Browse to Identity > Applications > Enterprise applications > New application.
- In the Add from the gallery section, type Netvision Compas in the search box.
- Select Netvision Compas from results panel and then add the app. Wait a few seconds while the app is added to your tenant.
Alternatively, you can also use the Enterprise App Configuration Wizard. In this wizard, you can add an application to your tenant, add users/groups to the app, assign roles, as well as walk through the SSO configuration as well. Learn more about Microsoft 365 wizards.
Configure and test Microsoft Entra single sign-on for Netvision Compas
Configure and test Microsoft Entra SSO with Netvision Compas using a test user called B.Simon. For SSO to work, you need to establish a link relationship between a Microsoft Entra user and the related user in Netvision Compas.
To configure and test Microsoft Entra SSO with Netvision Compas, complete the following building blocks:
- Configure Microsoft Entra SSO - to enable your users to use this feature.
- Configure Netvision Compas SSO - to configure the single sign-on settings on application side.
- Configure Netvision Compas test user - to have a counterpart of B.Simon in Netvision Compas that is linked to the Microsoft Entra representation of user.
- Test SSO - to verify whether the configuration works.
Configure Microsoft Entra SSO
Follow these steps to enable Microsoft Entra SSO.
Browse to Identity > Applications > Enterprise applications > Netvision Compas > Single sign-on.
On the Select a single sign-on method page, select SAML.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, click the edit/pen icon for Basic SAML Configuration to edit the settings.
On the Basic SAML Configuration section, if you wish to configure the application in IDP initiated mode, enter the values for the following fields:
a. In the Identifier text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
b. In the Reply URL text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
Click Set additional URLs and perform the following step if you wish to configure the application in SP initiated mode:
In the Sign-on URL text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
These values are not real. Update these values with the actual Identifier, Reply URL and Sign-on URL. Contact Netvision Compas Client support team to get these values. You can also refer to the patterns shown in the Basic SAML Configuration section.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, in the SAML Signing Certificate section, find Federation Metadata XML and select Download to download the metadata file and save it on your computer.
Create a Microsoft Entra test user
In this section, you'll create a test user called B.Simon.
- Sign in to the Microsoft Entra admin center as at least a User Administrator.
- Browse to Identity > Users > All users.
- Select New user > Create new user, at the top of the screen.
- In the User properties, follow these steps:
- In the Display name field, enter
- In the User principal name field, enter the email@example.com. For example,
- Select the Show password check box, and then write down the value that's displayed in the Password box.
- Select Review + create.
- In the Display name field, enter
- Select Create.
Assign the Microsoft Entra test user
In this section, you'll enable B.Simon to use single sign-on by granting access to Netvision Compas.
Browse to Identity > Applications > Enterprise applications > Netvision Compas.
In the app's overview page, find the Manage section and select Users and groups.
Select Add user, then select Users and groups in the Add Assignment dialog.
In the Users and groups dialog, select B.Simon from the Users list, then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
If you're expecting any role value in the SAML assertion, in the Select Role dialog, select the appropriate role for the user from the list and then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
In the Add Assignment dialog, click the Assign button.
Configure Netvision Compas SSO
In this section you enable SAML SSO in Netvision Compas.
Log into Netvision Compas using an administrative account and access the administration area.
Locate the System area and select Identity Providers.
Select the Add action to register Microsoft Entra ID as a new IDP.
Select SAML for the Provider type.
Enter meaningful values for the Display name and Description fields.
Assign Netvision Compas users to the IDP by selecting from the Available users list and then selecting the Add selected button. Users can also be assigned to the IDP while following the provisioning procedure.
For the Metadata SAML option click the Choose File button and select the metadata file previously saved on your computer.
Configure Netvision Compas test user
In this section, you configure an existing user in Netvision Compas to use Microsoft Entra ID for SSO.
Follow the Netvision Compas user provisioning procedure, as defined by your company or edit an existing user account.
While defining the user's profile, make sure that the user's Email (Personal) address matches the Microsoft Entra username: firstname.lastname@example.org. For example,
Users must be created and activated before you use single sign-on.
In this section, you test your Microsoft Entra single sign-on configuration.
Using the Access Panel (IDP initiated).
When you click the Netvision Compas tile in the Access Panel, you should be automatically signed in to the Netvision Compas for which you set up SSO. For more information about the Access Panel, see Introduction to the Access Panel.
Directly accessing Netvision Compas (SP initiated).
Access the Netvision Compas URL. For example,
Enter the Netvision Compas username and select Next.
(optional) If the user is assigned multiple IDPs within Netvision Compas, a list of available IDPs is presented. Select the Microsoft Entra IDP configured previously in Netvision Compas.
You are redirected to Microsoft Entra ID to perform the authentication. Once you are successfully authenticated, you should be automatically signed in to Netvision Compas for which you set up SSO.