Tutorial: Microsoft Entra single sign-on (SSO) integration with Proto.io
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to integrate Proto.io with Microsoft Entra ID. When you integrate Proto.io with Microsoft Entra ID, you can:
- Control in Microsoft Entra ID who has access to Proto.io.
- Enable your users to be automatically signed-in to Proto.io with their Microsoft Entra accounts.
- Manage your accounts in one central location.
To learn more about SaaS app integration with Microsoft Entra ID, see What is application access and single sign-on with Microsoft Entra ID.
To get started, you need the following items:
- A Microsoft Entra subscription. If you don't have a subscription, you can get a free account.
- Proto.io single sign-on (SSO) enabled subscription.
In this tutorial, you configure and test Microsoft Entra SSO in a test environment.
Proto.io supports SP and IDP initiated SSO
Once you configure Proto.io you can enforce session control, which protect exfiltration and infiltration of your organization’s sensitive data in real-time. Session control extend from Conditional Access. Learn how to enforce session control with Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps.
Adding Proto.io from the gallery
To configure the integration of Proto.io into Microsoft Entra ID, you need to add Proto.io from the gallery to your list of managed SaaS apps.
- Sign in to the Microsoft Entra admin center as at least a Cloud Application Administrator.
- Browse to Identity > Applications > Enterprise applications > New application.
- In the Add from the gallery section, type Proto.io in the search box.
- Select Proto.io from results panel and then add the app. Wait a few seconds while the app is added to your tenant.
Alternatively, you can also use the Enterprise App Configuration Wizard. In this wizard, you can add an application to your tenant, add users/groups to the app, assign roles, as well as walk through the SSO configuration as well. Learn more about Microsoft 365 wizards.
Configure and test Microsoft Entra single sign-on for Proto.io
Configure and test Microsoft Entra SSO with Proto.io using a test user called B.Simon. For SSO to work, you need to establish a link relationship between a Microsoft Entra user and the related user in Proto.io.
To configure and test Microsoft Entra SSO with Proto.io, complete the following building blocks:
- Configure Microsoft Entra SSO - to enable your users to use this feature.
- Configure Proto.io SSO - to configure the single sign-on settings on application side.
- Create Proto.io test user - to have a counterpart of B.Simon in Proto.io that is linked to the Microsoft Entra representation of user.
- Test SSO - to verify whether the configuration works.
Configure Microsoft Entra SSO
Follow these steps to enable Microsoft Entra SSO.
Browse to Identity > Applications > Enterprise applications > Proto.io > Single sign-on.
On the Select a single sign-on method page, select SAML.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, click the edit/pen icon for Basic SAML Configuration to edit the settings.
On the Basic SAML Configuration section, if you wish to configure the application in IDP initiated mode, enter the values for the following fields:
a. In the Identifier text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
b. In the Reply URL text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
Click Set additional URLs and perform the following step if you wish to configure the application in SP initiated mode:
In the Sign-on URL text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
These values are not real. Update these values with the actual Identifier, Reply URL and Sign-on URL. Contact Proto.io Client support team to get these values. You can also refer to the patterns shown in the Basic SAML Configuration section.
Proto.io application expects the SAML assertions in a specific format, which requires you to add custom attribute mappings to your SAML token attributes configuration. The following screenshot shows the list of default attributes.
In addition to above, Proto.io application expects few more attributes to be passed back in SAML response which are shown below. These attributes are also pre populated but you can review them as per your requirements.
Name Source Attribute user.mail fname user.givenname lname user.surname
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, in the SAML Signing Certificate section, find Certificate (Base64) and select Download to download the certificate and save it on your computer.
On the Set up Proto.io section, copy the appropriate URL(s) based on your requirement.
Create a Microsoft Entra test user
In this section, you'll create a test user called B.Simon.
- Sign in to the Microsoft Entra admin center as at least a User Administrator.
- Browse to Identity > Users > All users.
- Select New user > Create new user, at the top of the screen.
- In the User properties, follow these steps:
- In the Display name field, enter
- In the User principal name field, enter the email@example.com. For example,
- Select the Show password check box, and then write down the value that's displayed in the Password box.
- Select Review + create.
- In the Display name field, enter
- Select Create.
Assign the Microsoft Entra test user
In this section, you'll enable B.Simon to use single sign-on by granting access to Proto.io.
Browse to Identity > Applications > Enterprise applications > Proto.io.
In the app's overview page, find the Manage section and select Users and groups.
Select Add user, then select Users and groups in the Add Assignment dialog.
In the Users and groups dialog, select B.Simon from the Users list, then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
If you're expecting any role value in the SAML assertion, in the Select Role dialog, select the appropriate role for the user from the list and then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
In the Add Assignment dialog, click the Assign button.
Configure Proto.io SSO
To configure single sign-on on Proto.io side, you need to send the downloaded Certificate (Base64) and appropriate copied URLs from the application configuration to Proto.io support team. They set this setting to have the SAML SSO connection set properly on both sides.
Create Proto.io test user
In this section, you create a user called Britta Simon in Proto.io. Work with Proto.io support team to add the users in the Proto.io platform. Users must be created and activated before you use single sign-on.
In this section, you test your Microsoft Entra single sign-on configuration using the Access Panel.
When you click the Proto.io tile in the Access Panel, you should be automatically signed in to the Proto.io for which you set up SSO. For more information about the Access Panel, see Introduction to the Access Panel.