Tutorial: Configure XM Fax and XM SendSecure for automatic user provisioning
This tutorial describes the steps you need to perform in both XM Fax and XM SendSecure and Microsoft Entra ID to configure automatic user provisioning. When configured, Microsoft Entra ID automatically provisions and deprovisions users to XM Fax and XM SendSecure using the Microsoft Entra provisioning service. For important details on what this service does, how it works, and frequently asked questions, see Automate user provisioning and deprovisioning to SaaS applications with Microsoft Entra ID.
- Create users in XM Fax and XM SendSecure.
- Remove users in XM Fax and XM SendSecure when they do not require access anymore.
- Keep user attributes synchronized between Microsoft Entra ID and XM Fax and XM SendSecure.
- Single sign-on to XM Fax and XM SendSecure (recommended).
The scenario outlined in this tutorial assumes that you already have the following prerequisites:
- A Microsoft Entra tenant
- A user account in Microsoft Entra ID with permission to configure provisioning (for example, Application Administrator, Cloud Application administrator, Application Owner, or Global Administrator).
- A user account in XM Fax and XM SendSecure with Admin permissions.
Step 1: Plan your provisioning deployment
- Learn about how the provisioning service works.
- Determine who will be in scope for provisioning.
- Determine what data to map between Microsoft Entra ID and XM Fax and XM SendSecure.
Step 2: Configure XM Fax and XM SendSecure to support provisioning with Microsoft Entra ID
Create an access token
- In your XM Cloud enterprise account, click Enterprise name > Access tokens.
- Create a new access token with the permission User provisioning (using SCIM).
- Copy the access token. You will need it as the Secret Token in Microsoft Entra ID.
To configure the Microsoft Entra provisioning service, you will need your tenant URL.
The tenant URL depends on the region, the name of your enterprise account and has the following scheme:
Step 3: Add XM Fax and XM SendSecure from the Microsoft Entra application gallery
Add XM Fax and XM SendSecure from the Microsoft Entra application gallery to start managing provisioning to XM Fax and XM SendSecure. If you have previously setup XM Fax and XM SendSecure for SSO, you can use the same application. However it's recommended that you create a separate app when testing out the integration initially. Learn more about adding an application from the gallery here.
Step 4: Define who will be in scope for provisioning
The Microsoft Entra provisioning service allows you to scope who will be provisioned based on assignment to the application and or based on attributes of the user. If you choose to scope who will be provisioned to your app based on assignment, you can use the following steps to assign users to the application. If you choose to scope who will be provisioned based solely on attributes of the user, you can use a scoping filter as described here.
Start small. Test with a small set of users before rolling out to everyone. When scope for provisioning is set to assigned users, you can control this by assigning one or two users to the app. When scope is set to all users, you can specify an attribute based scoping filter.
If you need more roles, you can update the application manifest to add new roles.
Step 5: Configure automatic user provisioning to XM Fax and XM SendSecure
This section guides you through the steps to configure the Microsoft Entra provisioning service to create, update, and disable users in TestApp based on user assignments in Microsoft Entra ID.
To configure automatic user provisioning for XM Fax and XM SendSecure in Microsoft Entra ID:
Browse to Identity > Applications > Enterprise applications
In the applications list, select XM Fax and XM SendSecure.
Select the Provisioning tab.
Set the Provisioning Mode to Automatic.
Under the Admin Credentials section, input your XM Fax and XM SendSecure Tenant URL and Secret Token from Step 2. Click Test Connection to ensure Microsoft Entra ID can connect to XM Fax and XM SendSecure. If the connection fails, check the URL and access token are correct.
In the Notification Email field, enter the email address of a person who should receive the provisioning error notifications and select the Send an email notification when a failure occurs check box.
Under the Mappings section, select Synchronize Microsoft Entra users to XM Fax and XM SendSecure.
Review the user attributes that are synchronized from Microsoft Entra ID to XM Fax and XM SendSecure in the Attribute-Mapping section. The attributes selected as Matching properties are used to match the user accounts in XM Fax and XM SendSecure for update operations. If you choose to change the matching target attribute, you need to ensure that the XM Fax and XM SendSecure API supports filtering users based on that attribute. Select the Save button to commit any changes.
Attribute Type Supported for filtering Required by XM Fax and XM SendSecure userName String ✓ ✓ emails[type eq "work"].value String ✓ active Boolean title String name.givenName String name.familyName String addresses[type eq "work"].streetAddress String addresses[type eq "work"].locality String addresses[type eq "work"].region String addresses[type eq "work"].postalCode String addresses[type eq "work"].country String phoneNumbers[type eq "work"].value String phoneNumbers[type eq "mobile"].value String phoneNumbers[type eq "fax"].value String externalId String ✓ roles[primary eq "True"].value String urn:ietf:params:scim:schemas:extension:enterprise:2.0:User:organization String
To configure scoping filters, refer to the following instructions provided in the Scoping filter tutorial.
To enable the Microsoft Entra provisioning service for XM Fax and XM SendSecure, change the Provisioning Status to On in the Settings section.
Define the users that you would like to provision to XM Fax and XM SendSecure by choosing the desired values in Scope in the Settings section.
When you're ready to provision, click Save.
This operation starts the initial synchronization cycle of all users defined in Scope in the Settings section. The initial cycle takes longer to perform than subsequent cycles, which occur approximately every 40 minutes as long as the Microsoft Entra provisioning service is running.
Step 6: Monitor your deployment
Once you've configured provisioning, use the following resources to monitor your deployment:
- Use the provisioning logs to determine which users have been provisioned successfully or unsuccessfully
- Check the progress bar to see the status of the provisioning cycle and how close it's to completion
- If the provisioning configuration seems to be in an unhealthy state, the application goes into quarantine. Learn more about quarantine states here.
- Managing user account provisioning for Enterprise Apps
- What is application access and single sign-on with Microsoft Entra ID?