Economy v2.0 overview
Economy v2.0 Public Preview has released. Use these features to participate in the active development of our latest code, and provide feedback to the developers via the PlayFab Forum.
Economy v2 is a large change from the existing Playfab Monetization suite of features to support titles with hundreds of millions of active players, large progression systems, and giant inventories. The architecture has been rebuilt on the modern Azure Stack from the ground up, specifically targeting the needs of developers such as:
- Idempotent transactions
- Batch operations
- Handling high concurrency rates (especially with inventory interactions)
- Large unified catalog (unlimited number of items) of in-game goods or UGC
- Individual Catalog Item documents (instead of all items being stored in a single document)
- Large player Inventories (3,000+ items)
- Integration with PlayFab Entities
It's designed with the same flexibility and extensibility that you would expect from other Playfab services. Although the architecture is new to PlayFab, its battle tested; this same infrastructure supports internal Microsoft titles such as Minecraft, Sea of Thieves, and Flight Simulator.
Which version of Economy should I use?
You should use version 2, and if you're on version 1, you should look at upgrading. While we are not deprecating v1 and will maintain and support it for all titles, it is in bugfix-only mode and new Economy features are being developed only for version 2.
Key feature changes
Some Economy features didn't make the cut to v2. These features were ones whose feedback centered around them being too restrictive to be useful. In response, we launched Azure Functions as an enhanced successor to CloudScript and have provided recipe-style documentation as starting points for your own custom implementations. We then focused our efforts on what you told us was most important.
Key v1 features that aren’t included in Economy v2 today include:
- Trading (see the Roadmap)
- Converting items
- Limited Items
- Drop Tables
- Recharge rates
- Store support for Segments
Economy v2 brings new useful features:
- Updated interactions between Inventory and catalog allow you to support unique items, non-unique items, stacks of items, and multiple stacks of items
- Catalog Items have both metadata and actual content that can be uploaded and managed alongside your catalog - including images and files
- Deep links to game content are now possible using the economy settings
- Customizable Catalog Search allows you to set up custom views with tags and content types
- Simple localization of Item Descriptions and Titles
- APIs to support PlayerEntity facing Item Ratings and Reviews
- Support for custom workflow in authoring with draft states and Policies permissions sets for Catalog admins and reviewers
- You can pre-publish Catalog Items with a future start date
- Bundle items that can be linked to multiple external marketplace items
Submit and view feedback for