Licensing for Microsoft Syntex
Microsoft Syntex uses pay-as-you-go licensing for new and renewing customers. With pay-as-you-go, you can use Syntex without any license commitment or upfront purchasing. Any user in your organization can use Syntex services and only pay if and when services are used.
Pay-as-you-go requires an Azure subscription. Pay-as-you-go services are billed based on the type and number of transactions. For information about how to set up pay-as-you-go, see Configure Microsoft Syntex for pay-as-you-go billing.
Before you configure pay-as-you-go, read the Microsoft Syntex pay-as-you-go terms of service.
The features available for each license type are described in this article.
Microsoft Syntex is an add-on and requires users also to have a license for Microsoft 365.
For Government Community Cloud (GCC) organizations, pay-as-you-go licensing is not yet available. GCC organizations can continue to purchase and use per-user licenses until pay-as-you-go becomes available.
Microsoft Syntex pay-as-you-go
Pay-as-you-go currently supports the following Syntex services:
- Prebuilt document processing
- Structured and freeform document processing
- Unstructured document processing
- Content assembly
- Image tagging
- Taxonomy tagging
- Syntex eSignature
- Optical character recognition
- Microsoft 365 Archive (Preview)
- Microsoft 365 Backup (Preview)
More Syntex services will be added as they become available.
Feature limited preview
Pay-as-you-go licensing includes access to additional Syntex features for a limited time as a preview. You won't be charged on a pay-as-you-go basis during the preview. These features include:
- Content query
- Universal annotations
- Contracts management accelerator
- Accounts payable accelerator
- Taxonomy features (including import using SKOS, SKOS formatting reference, push content type to hub, and term store reports)
- PDF merge and extract pages
- Content processing: Move or copy a file, set a content type from file name
For more information, see Microsoft Syntex features limited time license agreement.
If you still have active per-user licenses
As of July 1, 2023, per-user licenses are no longer available for purchase. Per-user licenses purchased before July 1 can still be assigned to new users. After existing per-user licenses expire, you'll need to opt in to Syntex pay-as-you-go billing to continue using Syntex services.
Users with active per-user licenses can perform the following tasks:
- Apply an unstructured document processing model to a library. (Unlicensed users can be granted access to a content center and can create models there, but can't apply them to a document library.)
- Create a prebuilt, structured, or freeform document processing model via the entry point in a library.
- Upload content to a library where a custom model has been applied.
- Run an unstructured document processing model on-demand.
- Create a modern template with content assembly.
- Generate a document from a modern template.
- Use of content query to search for metadata.
- Use of annotations to add notes and comments.
- Use of premium taxonomy services. (Premium taxonomy services comprise SKOS-based term set import, pushing enterprise content types to hub-associated sites, and term store reports.)
- Use the document library rules to move or copy content.
- Merge and extract PDFs
If you plan to use a custom Power Platform environment for structured or freeform document processing, see Using a custom Power Platform environment.