Create one-to-many or many-to-one table relationships overview
In Microsoft Dataverse 1:N (one-to-many) or N:1 (many-to-one) relationships define how two tables are related to each other.
Before you create a custom table relationship, evaluate whether using an existing table relationship would meet your requirements. More information: Create new metadata or use existing metadata?
Watch this video for a quick overview about how to create a table, a table relationship, and columns:
There are two designers you can use to create and edit 1:N (one-to-many) or N:1 (many-to-one) relationships:
|Power Apps portal||Provides an easy streamlined experience, but some special settings are not available.
More information: Create and edit 1:N (one-to-many) or N:1 (many-to-one) table relationships in Power Apps portal
|Solution explorer||Not as easy, but provides for more flexibility for less common requirements.
More information: Create and edit 1:N (one-to-many) or N:1 (many-to-one) table relationships using solution explorer
You can also create new table relationship in your environment using the following:
- In model-driven apps, select New Column from the form editor and create a Lookup column.
More information: Add, configure, move, or delete columns on a form
- Create a new Lookup column for the related table.
More information: Create and edit columns
- Import a solution that contains the definition of the table relationship.
More information: Import, update, and export solutions
- Use Power Query to create new tables and fill them with data.
More information: Add data to a table in Dataverse by using Power Query.
- A developer can use Metadata services to write a program to create and update table relationships.
More information: Table relationship definitions
Information in this topic will help you choose which designer you can use.
You should use the Power Apps portal to create and edit 1:N (one-to-many) or N:1 (many-to-one) table relationships unless you need to address any of the following requirements:
- Configure column mappings
- Configure navigation pane options for model-driven app
- Configure relationship behaviors
- Define whether the relationship is hidden in advanced find.
- Make a Hierarchical relationship
The community tools are not a product of Microsoft and does not extend support to the community tools. If you have questions pertaining to the tool, please contact the publisher. More Information: XrmToolBox.
Create and edit relationships between tables
Create and edit 1:N (one-to-many) or N:1 (many-to-one) table relationships in Power Apps portal
Create and edit 1:N (one-to-many) or N:1 (many-to-one) table relationships using solution explorer
Developer documentation: Customize table relationship metadata
Developer documentation: table relationship eligibility