DirectX End-User Runtime June 2010 installation keeps failing

Alireza Amirkiaee 0 Reputation points
2026-06-24T11:39:01.61+00:00

Hi, I've been stuck on a DirectX problem for a while now and could really use some help. Basic situation: a few of my games are having audio problems - COD Black Ops 1, Black Ops 2, and Advanced Warfare. Sometimes it's missing in cutscenes(the game files are all good), sometimes during actual gameplay, sometimes both. I first noticed some DLL files were missing in other games and tried copying them in manually that fixed them . I'm pretty sure the real issue is that the DirectX End-User Runtime (June 2010) won't install properly and I need it for old titles. Every time I run it I get: "An internal system error occurred. Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder to determine the problem." Checking DXError.log :

[04/08/26 12:01:06] module: dsetup32(Feb 3 2006), file: inline.h, line: 97, function: IsDotNETFrameworkInstalled

Failed API: GetCORVersion()

I already have .NET 4.8.1 installed and up to date, so it's not actually missing .NET, the installer's check itself just seems broken. What I've already tried: -Toggling .NET Framework 3.5 on/off in Windows Features, restarting in between

-Verifying game files through Steam

-A registry edit some people online use to get around this exact GetCORVersion error: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX] "InstalledVersion"=hex:00,00,00,09,00,00,00,00 "Version"="4.09.00.0904"

None of it has fixed the installer error. Is this a known issue with the old DirectX installer on newer Windows versions? Is there an actual supported fix, or a newer installer I should be using instead? I'd rather not keep relying on registry hacks I found on a forum somewhere if there's a proper way to do this.

Windows version: Windows 11 Pro, 25H2, OS Build 26200.8655. Happy to send full logs too if needed.

Thanks,

[Moderator Note: Personal Info Removed]

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Clary-N 16,385 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-06-25T04:51:28.41+00:00

    Please note that our forum is a public platform, and we will modify your question to hide your personal information in the description. Kindly ensure that you hide any personal or organizational information the next time you post an error or other details to protect personal data.


    Hi Alireza Amirkiaee,

    From the error you've shared, it looks like the DirectX June 2010 installer is failing during one of its legacy .NET Framework checks rather than because DirectX itself is missing. Windows 11 already includes the latest DirectX version and the June 2010 package is primarily used to install older runtime components that some older games still depend on.

    As a first step, I'd suggest checking for any Windows component corruption by running the following commands in an elevated Command Prompt:

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    sfc /scannow
    

    You can also verify that .NET Framework 3.5 is enabled by running:

    DISM /Online /Get-FeatureInfo /FeatureName:NetFx3
    

    If you haven't already, try downloading a fresh copy of the DirectX End-User Runtime (June 2010), extracting it to a local folder (for example, C:\DXRedist) and then running DXSETUP.exe as Administrator from that folder.

    If the installation continues to fail, could you please share the complete contents of C:\Windows\DXError.log along with the last 50–100 lines from C:\Windows\DirectX.log? Those logs may provide more detailed information about what is causing the setup to stop.

    I hope this helps and I'll be happy to take a closer look once the logs are available.


    If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".  

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.