Archive inventory transactions
Over time, the Inventory transaction table grows exponentially and consumes storage space, which gradually results in performance issues when running queries against the table. To avoid these performance issues, Supply Chain Management has an optional feature, that archives inventory transaction data. When the transactions are archived, both inventory issue and inventory receipt transaction are moved to separate summarized tables.
Before you archive inventory transactions, you should consider the following business scenarios, because they will be affected by the operation:
- When you audit inventory transactions from related documents, such as purchase order lines, the transactions are archived. To access the archived transactions, go to Inventory management > Periodic tasks > Clean up > Inventory transactions archive.
- You cannot cancel inventory closing for archived periods. Before you can cancel an inventory closing, you must reverse the relevant period’s inventory transaction archive.
- You cannot run standard cost conversion for archived periods. Before you can do standard cost conversion, you must reverse the inventory transaction archive for the relevant period.
- Inventory reports that are sourced from inventory transactions will be affected when inventory transactions are archived. These reports include the inventory aging report and inventory value reports.
- Inventory forecasts may be affected if they are run during the time horizon of archived periods.
After you enable the Inventory transaction archive feature in the Feature management workspace, the following criteria must be met prior to archiving transactions:
- The ledger period must be closed.
- Inventory closing must be run on or after the to-period date of the archive.
- The period must be at least one year before the from-period date of the archive.
- There must not be any existing inventory recalculations.
To archive inventory transactions, follow these steps:
- Go to Inventory management > Periodic tasks > Clean up > Inventory transaction archive. The Inventory transactions archive page appears and shows a list of archived process records.
- On the Action Pane, select Inventory transactions archive to create an inventory transaction archive.
- In the Inventory transactions archive dialog box, on the Parameters FastTab, set the following fields:
- From date in closed ledger period – Select the earliest transaction date to include in the archive.
- To date in closed ledger period – Select the latest transaction date to include in the archive.
Only periods that meet the prerequisites will be available for selection.
- On the Run in the background FastTab, set up batch processing details as you require. Follow the usual steps for batch jobs in Supply Chain Management. See Set up batch jobs in finance and operations apps if you want to learn more about batch jobs.
- Select OK. You receive a message that prompts you to confirm that you want to continue.
- Read the message carefully, and then select Yes if you want to continue.
- You receive a message that states that your inventory transactions archive job has been added to the batch queue. The job will now start to archive inventory transactions from the selected period.
To learn more about how to archive inventory transactions, see Archive inventory transactions.