Describe Microsoft Defender for Endpoint
Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is a platform designed to help enterprise networks protect endpoints. It does so by preventing, detecting, investigating, and responding to advanced threats. Microsoft Defender for Endpoint embeds technology built into Windows 10 and Microsoft cloud services.
This technology includes endpoint behavioral sensors that collect and process signals from the operating system, cloud security analytics that turn signals into insights, detections and recommendations, and threat intelligence to identify attacker tools & techniques, and generate alerts.
Microsoft Defender for Endpoint includes:
- Threat and vulnerability management: A risk-based approach to the discovery, prioritization, and remediation of endpoint vulnerabilities and misconfigurations. It uses sensors on devices to avoid the need for agents or scans, and prioritizes vulnerabilities.
- Attack surface reduction: The attack surface reduction set of capabilities provides the first line of defense in the stack. By ensuring configuration settings are properly set and exploit mitigation techniques are applied, the capabilities resist attacks and exploitation. This set of capabilities also includes network protection and web protection, which regulate access to malicious IP addresses, domains, and URLs; helping prevent apps from accessing dangerous locations
- Next generation protection: Brings together machine learning, big data analysis, in-depth threat resistance research, and the Microsoft cloud infrastructure to protect devices in your enterprise organization.
- Endpoint detection and response: Provides advanced attack detections that are near real time and actionable. Security analysts can prioritize alerts, see the full scope of a breach, and take response actions to remediate threats.
- Automated investigation and remediation: The automated investigation feature uses inspection algorithms and processes used by analysts (such as playbooks) to examine alerts and take quick remediation action to resolve breaches. This process significantly reduces the volume of alerts that must be investigated individually.
- Microsoft Threat Experts: A managed threat hunting service that provides Security Operation Centers (SOCs) with monitoring and analysis tools to ensure critical threats don’t get missed.
- Management and APIs: Provides APIs to integrate with other solutions.
Microsoft Defender for Endpoint includes Microsoft Secure Score for Devices to help you dynamically assess the security state of your enterprise network, identify unprotected systems, and take recommended actions to improve overall security. Microsoft Defender for Endpoint integrates with various components in the Microsoft Defender suite, and with other Microsoft solutions including Intune and Microsoft Defender for Cloud.
Use Microsoft Defender for Endpoint to protect your organization's endpoints and respond to advanced threats.
Need help? See our troubleshooting guide or provide specific feedback by reporting an issue.