Employee experience Power BI
With the new Power BI template and dashboard from Microsoft Viva Insights, you'll learn more about focus time, manager coaching, and other key experience indicators for your organization. You’ll be able to customize the template by grouping and filtering for parts of the organization, and you’ll receive actionable insights to help improve wellbeing and productivity.
The dashboard in Power BI includes the following reports:
- Protecting personal time – Shows the percentage of employees who are successfully protecting their personal time by limiting their after-hours work to less than five hours each week. As digital collaboration becomes our new norm, it’s important to establish communication guidelines and boundaries to encourage employees to balance work and life and maintain good wellbeing.
- Connecting in small groups – Shows how much time employees spend interacting at least one hour each week with eight or fewer people to encourage small-group collaboration where most have a voice in the activity.
- Finding time to focus – Measures how much uninterrupted focus time your employees get during the workweek, which are one- to two-hour blocks of time with no collaboration activity. People need this valuable time to complete challenging work, think creatively, and generate new ideas.
- Getting manager coaching – Measure how much 1:1 time managers spend with their employees on average each month. Research shows that time spent 1:1 with your manager helps keep employees engaged and improves their job performance and career development.
- Effective meetings – Shows the percentage of employees who spend most of their time in short or focused meetings, which are less than one hour long with two to eight participants. Research shows short and targeted meetings are more inclusive with higher participation where decisions get made and work gets done.
Each report also includes the following details:
- How we measure this – Near the top of each report, you can select "How we measure this" to see what metrics were used to calculate the data and insights provided.
- Top tools and suggestions – In the blue area at the top right of each report, you'll see a few suggestions and tool tips that can help support the insights and analysis shown on the page.
- Supporting articles – To the right of "Current State," you'll see links to articles about why this analysis matters based on industry research and other businesses experience.
- Go deeper – Shows other available reports or options that you can use for more advanced and focused analysis relating to the data shown.
- Supporting insights – This section shows the top insights that are important to focus on based on the analysis shown. For example, for Protecting personal time, you might see insights about what activities drive most of your employees' after-hours work and how many hours they spend collaborating.
The following is an example of what you'll see in the Protecting personal time report:
Before you can run the results and populate the dashboard in Power BI, you need to:
- Be assigned Insights Business Leader role.
- Have the latest version of Power BI Desktop installed. If you have an earlier version of Power BI installed, uninstall it before installing the new version. Then go to Get Power BI Desktop to download and install the latest version.
Set up the dashboard
This dashboard is currently only available in English.
In the Viva Insights app, select Organization trends, and then go to the Unlock more insights card within the Recommendations section.
Select Download now.
Open the downloaded Employee experience template, and if prompted to select a program, select Power BI.
If you're already signed in to Power BI with your Viva Insights organizational account, the dashboard visualizations will populate with your data. You are done and can skip the following steps. If not, proceed to the next step.
If you're not signed in to Power BI, or if an error occurs when updating the data, sign in to your organizational account again. See Troubleshooting for more details.
You need to sign in to Power BI with the same account you use to access Viva Insights.
In Power BI Desktop, select Publish at the top (ribbon), and then sign in with the same email address you use for Microsoft Viva.
Follow the online instructions to view these reports in your Power BI workspace.
Achieved or At Risk KPIs
Because Viva Insights respects user privacy, the Employee experience reports in Power BI display approximated values when necessary to protect privacy. For example, the following shows an approximation about “Protecting personal time.”
The following lists the minimum and maximum percentage ranges for the value thresholds that are used to categorize employees as Achieved as compared to At Risk, which fall outside of these ranges.
|Number of employees in a group||Value threshold range for Achieved|
|10||25 to 75 percent|
|11 to 20||10 to 90 percent|
|21 or more||5 to 95 percent|
For more information, see Differential privacy in Viva Insights.
After the dashboard is set up and populated with data in Power BI, make sure the date range and number of measured employees shown at the top of each page is what you expected for this analysis. Measured employees counts the number of employees who were active during the last week, meaning they sent at least one email or Teams chat.
As new data is processed on a weekly basis, select On for Keep your data up to date in the Scheduled refresh section in Power BI if you want the report data to refresh in Power BI each week. For details, see Configure scheduled refresh.
Power BI tips, troubleshooting, and FAQs
For details about how to share the dashboard and other Power BI tips, troubleshoot any issues, or review the FAQ, see Power BI tips, FAQ, and troubleshooting.