Visual Studio 2022 gives an error when trying to browse NuGet.
I get these errors on 2 different Windows Servers (2016) I’ve tried. One running Visual Studio 2017, the other running Visual Studio 2019 and 2022.
Visual Studio 2017:
“[nuget.org] Unable to load the service index for source https://api.nuget.org/v3/index.ison.
An error occurred while sending the request.
The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.
Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.”
Visual Studio 2022:
[nuget.org] Unable to load the service index for source https://api.nuget.org/v3/index.json. An error occurred while sending the request. The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
Note that we do not use a proxy.
“This page can’t be displayed
Turn on TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2 in Advanced settings and try connecting to https://api.nuget.org again. If this error persists, it is possible that this site uses an unsupported protocol or cipher suite such as RC4 (link for the details), which is not considered secure. Please contact your site administrator.”
Things I’ve tried that have failed to resolve it
updated Visual Studio
Clearing nuget cache from within Visual Studio
Deleted NuGet.Config from C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\NuGet
Modified C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.com based on tips I found. I know it’s possible that what I changed was not correct. Reverted back.
Computer\HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Client
Computer\HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client
Computer\HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.3\Client
DisabledByDefault = 1 Enabled = 0
Computer\HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\ CurrentControl Set) Control SecurityProviders \SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client
DisabledByDefault = 0 Enabled = 1
SchUseStrongCrypto = 1 SystemDefaultTlsVersions = 1
Tried moving the server's Active Directory object out of the current AD OU which has a Group Policy configured with specific ciphers enabled, and the order of preference, into a new OU with this NOT configured.
Tried disabling anti-virus software
Reference links, things I've tried or looked into:
At this point, I'm run out of ideas. It seems like Visual Studio is not adhering to the system's default TLS settings (1.2) but it could possibly be something else.