Requirements and considerations for large volumes (preview)
This article describes the requirements and considerations you need to be aware of before using large volumes on Azure NetApp Files.
Register the feature
To enroll in the preview for large volumes, use the large volumes preview sign-up form.
Requirements and considerations
The following requirements and considerations apply to large volumes. For performance considerations of regular volumes, see Performance considerations for Azure NetApp Files.
- Existing regular volumes can't be resized over 100 TiB.
- You can't convert regular Azure NetApp Files volumes to large volumes.
- You must create a large volume at a size greater than 100 TiB. A single volume can't exceed 500 TiB.
- You can't resize a large volume to less than 100 TiB.
- You can only resize a large to be volume up to 30%, of lowest provisioned size.
- Large volumes are currently not supported with Azure NetApp Files backup.
- Large volumes are not currently supported with cross-region replication.
- You can't create a large volume with application volume groups.
- Large volumes aren't currently supported with cross-zone replication.
- Currently, large volumes are not suited for database (HANA, Oracle, SQL Server, etc) data and log volumes. For database workloads requiring more than a single volume’s throughput limit, consider deploying multiple regular volumes.
- Throughput ceilings for the three performance tiers (Standard, Premium, and Ultra) of large volumes are based on the existing 100-TiB maximum capacity targets. You're able to grow to 500 TiB with the throughput ceiling per the following table:
|Capacity tier||Volume size (TiB)||Throughput (MiB/s)|
|Standard||100 to 500||1,600|
|Premium||100 to 500||6,400|
|Ultra||100 to 500||10,240|
Support for Azure NetApp Files large volumes is available in the following regions:
- Australia East
- Australia Southeast
- Brazil South
- Canada Central
- Central India
- Central US
- East US
- East US 2
- Germany West Central
- Japan East
- North Europe
- Qatar Central
- South Africa North
- South Central US
- Switzerland North
- UAE North
- UK West
- UK South
- West Europe
- West US
- West US 2
- West US 3
Configure large volumes
Before you can use large volumes, you must first request an increase in regional capacity quota.
Once your regional capacity quota has increased, you can create volumes that are up to 500 TiB in size. When creating a volume, after you designate the volume quota, you must select Yes for the Large volume field. Once created, you can manage your large volumes in the same manner as regular volumes.