Random Disconnections on RDS 2016 - Loads of ESENT errors

Ben 11 Reputation points
2021-07-30T09:59:36.543+00:00

hi,

recently I've been having loads of rds disconnections on different servers (but not all) where all the users are disconnected and unable to login, when trying to login via console or mstsc /admin they fail as well (console just refreshes and removed the password from the field over and over) the only thing within the logs I can seem to find is a load (sometimes around 100) ESENT errors with different error numbers 482 is a usual one and the errors seem to say webcachetiles and insufficient resources. kind of run out of ideas with this... anything to do with AV or MRT?

any thoughts/help?

Windows Server
Windows Server
A family of Microsoft server operating systems that support enterprise-level management, data storage, applications, and communications.
12,242 questions
Remote Desktop
Remote Desktop
A Microsoft app that connects remotely to computers and to virtual apps and desktops.
4,283 questions
{count} votes

17 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. ManagedTechMSP 1 Reputation point
    2021-08-03T04:41:27.873+00:00

    Hello,

    We have the exact same issue. Real story though, it doesn't only appear on RDS. It appears when using the system directly as well, or so it appears. Get a whole bunch of different ESENT errors but mainly the same as below.

    This is now happening on multiple of our client systems and I've literally exhausted every option possible.

    Did you find a fix for this? @Ben

    taskhostw (42936,D,0) WebCacheLocal: An attempt to write to the file "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat" at offset 14188544 (0x0000000000d88000) for 32768 (0x00008000) bytes failed after 0.000 seconds with system error 1453 (0x000005ad): "Insufficient quota to complete the requested service. ". The write operation will fail with error -1011 (0xfffffc0d). If this error persists then the file may be damaged and may need to be restored from a previous backup.

    0 comments No comments

  2. IT-Guy-9874 86 Reputation points
    2021-08-19T13:34:17.177+00:00

    Hello,
    We have exactly the same issue on Hyper-v 2019 and vmware servers running Server 2019 and 2016.
    The logs are the same as you.

    The first issue starts on July the 5th on one machine. Now we have 5 servers with this issue.
    When we connect on the console sometimes we cannot start the taskmgr.exe: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.
    The only solution is to reboot the server.
    The issue appear every one or two days.
    We made a comparaison of the windows update installed but we did not found the reason.

    We have an opened ticket at microsoft support but they still do not find the solution.

    Edit: I found another post about the same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/ouhni1/rds_random_disconnections_unable_to_login_via/


  3. ManagedTechMSP 1 Reputation point
    2021-08-26T12:36:27.67+00:00

    I can agree with some of the above posts.
    I haven't downgraded office. I've completely removed office using the Office Removal Tool from Microsoft. I've then installed the latest 32bit version - at this stage, the issue has not occured for 3 days. I don't want to get my hopes up entirely yet, but removing office entirely, and installing 32bit does seem to resolve the issue.

    As others have mentioned, downgrading office to a version prior to june does seem to also fix the issue.

    Good luck all, I'll let you all knwo if issue occurs again.

    0 comments No comments

  4. Peter Flion 6 Reputation points
    2021-09-21T10:28:48.403+00:00

    I can confirm that using following version of office does not have the problem: passing our problematic servers to this office version resolved the disconnect / esent error problems .

    <Configuration ID="a37bde6f-de3b-45a1-85e8-58059d8442f5">
    <Add OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="Current" Version="16.0.14026.20308" MigrateArch="TRUE">
    <Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail">

    Dont forget to put the policies for office 365 to disable automatic updating and hide update notifications.

    So no more office updates till microsoft fixes the problem...

    0 comments No comments

  5. James Cabalum 1 Reputation point
    2021-10-22T18:46:49.95+00:00

    Downgrading M365 Apps for Business resolved this for us as well. We ran into the same ESENT event IDs and random RDS disconnects. We've also got a case open with Microsoft, but have not heard back.

    This command did the trick, as well as implementing GPOs to disable further updates:

    “C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.14026.20308

    0 comments No comments