Broadcasters are confronting increasingly frequent cyber attacks against their websites, IT infrastructure, and systems. In response to these threats, the Digital Production Partnership (DPP) partnered with the North American Broadcasters Association (NABA) to develop the NABA DPP Broadcasters Cyber Security Requirements for Suppliers. Chief information security officers from UK broadcasters have endorsed these requirements as the minimum set of requirements for cyber security.
The DPP then worked with broadcasters and supplier security experts to create a self-assessment program designed to enable suppliers to demonstrate commitment to achieving security best practices. This work led to the establishment of a formal Committed to Security Program that DPP launched in October 2017 with two different marks: Broadcast and Production. A checklist and user guide are provided by the DPP for each of the two marks.
Azure and DPP
Microsoft Azure has been awarded the DPP Committed to Security Mark for Broadcast after completing the DPP self-assessment questionnaire, the Committed to Security Broadcast Checklist. Microsoft Azure submission required documenting control implementation details for a set of security requirements spanning documentation and testing, authentication, and security. Eurofins Digital Testing, a quality assurance expert and DPP member, reviewed and signed off on the Microsoft response, and submitted it to the DPP for final validation and display on the DPP committed to security landing page. The Azure Committed to Security Broadcast mark is valid for one year and renewed annually.
The DPP validation means that broadcasters and other media customers using Azure can be confident that the robust, secure, and resilient cloud services available to them can help meet the unique demands of the broadcast industry, from program development to transmission.
You can download and review the Azure Committed to Security Broadcast checklist:
How to implement
- Azure Media Services documentation is intended to help you build solutions that achieve high-definition video encoding and broadcast-quality video streaming.
- Azure compliance documentation
- Azure enables a world of compliance
- Microsoft 365 compliance offerings
- Compliance on the Microsoft Trust Center
- Microsoft Intelligent Media and Entertainment
- Digital Production Partnership (DPP)
- DPP Committed to Security Program
- North American Broadcasters Association (NABA)
- NABA DPP Broadcasters Cyber Security Requirements for Suppliers
- DPP Committed to Security checklist and user guide
- Azure Virtual Desktop infrastructure hardening guide by Independent Security Evaluators (ISE)
- Editorial and asset management hardening guide for Azure by Independent Security Evaluators (ISE)
- Azure media hardening guide for 3D graphics rendering by Independent Security Evaluators (ISE)